Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Common sense

Today in the nutrition class we learned about fad diets and how to avoid them. The only diet that ever tempted me was Weight Watchers and I did it for 3 months about 6 years ago and lost 10 pounds, but after 3 months my common sense told me that I could not continue to count points for the rest of my life. My weight yo-yo ed after that but never went as high as it had been. Last year I decided that in order to truly lose weight it had to be a life style change, and I revamped the way I shopped for food and prepared it. Since then I was also able to lose another 10 pounds but my cholesterol never went down. I am hoping to lose another 10 pounds with this challenge and lower my cholesterol also. This has been harder than I thought it would be. I love the workouts and learning how to use the weights and machines. My endurance has improved and I am hoping to jog most of the 5K at the end of the challenge, but walking is OK too (I have never been a runner).
It has really helped me to learn how to breath when doing weights and I find I am an unconscious breather now. My granddaughter who is 12 asked me what I was doing when I was blow drying her hair (she is taller than me and I was raising my arms up and using a round brush) and I asked her what she meant. She said that I was breathing funny, and sure enough I was exhaling as my arm was coming down.
My common sense tells me that it is better to be an unconscious breather than eater.

No comments:

Post a Comment