Monday, May 4, 2009

Living in the Present

I have finally come to the conclusion that "The Glory Days" are gone forever. My "Glory Days" were when I weighed 110 without trying, never thought about what I was eating, never exercised on a regular basis or even thought about it and bought clothes because they were cute never worrying about what size they were because they were all single digits. They are also the days that I would wear a swimsuit out in public without people screaming and running in fear of the big white blubbery monster.
This challenge has taught me that it doesn't matter what my weight is if I am healthy and toned. I do need to worry about what is going in my mouth as the hand to mouth exercise is not on the recommended list (although it is the easiest exercise and can be done with unlimited repetitions). Size does not matter in clothes, however, I still find it challenging to find cute clothes that fit and are age appropriate for me. And wearing a swim suit will not start a panic of some monster attacking the city (after all nobody looks at anyone over 50).
Last week I went shopping with my oldest daughter and it was the first time we were able to wear the same size ever as I have never been below a size 12-14 since she was a teenager (ok, she had a baby in Feb. and is not back to her size 6 yet). The clothes didn't fit us in the same way as she is 4 inches taller than me and 5 pounds lighter, but it was fun to see what looked good on me and to get some constructive criticism about what I should be looking for in clothes. I haven't looked at what was fashionable in years because I never thought I could wear it.
I guess I am almost ready to start phase three of this challenge for me. Phase one was learning how to exercise and use weights (getting rid of the jowls). Phase two was learning how and what to eat. And phase three is learning how to dress this new transformed body that is still transforming hopefully into something permanent. So here's to the new "Glory Days" of being over 50 and fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment